2010 Maltus Le Dome
From the vineyards of Chateau Teyssier in St. Emilion (Right bank Bordeaux) comes this beautiful gem that must be tasted to be believed. This incredible vintage boasts high levels of Cabernet Franc (80%) with the remaining Merlot (20%). One of the greatest expressions of the Cab Franc grape to come out of the bank. Dense purple with notes of dark cherry, blackberries and camphor. A plush texture and smooth finish with offerings of cocoa, oak and black cherries. This one is a keeper. Drink now until 2030. $458.95. Three bottles in store. 90+ points by Parker, Wine Spectator and Wine Enthusiast.
2009 Fontodi Flaccianello Della Pieve
This 100% Sangiovese Super-Tuscan began as a cru of grapes from the vineyard of the same name, the “Flaccianello della Pieve”; in 2001, however, Fontodi widened Flaccianello’s base to source from the estate’s best grapes. This big red wine, born in 1981, combines all the old-world characteristics of Sangiovese with modern vinification techniques. Aged in 100% French oak for 18 months, and additional ageing in the bottle. Wildflower aromatics, along with black currant, raspberries and spice with sun-drenched earth and silky tannins. The 2011 vintage appeared on the 2014Wine Spectator top 100 list, reaching #14 with a mark of 95. The 2009 also scored equally high with marks of 94 and 96 from Parker and Wine Spectator respectively and scored #25 on the top 100 for 2012. Put it away for a bit to mellow out, but can drink to 2029. $141.95
2007 Cantina di Brigaldara Amarone della Valpolicella (1.5L)
Grapes for the Amarone Riserva are chosen each year from the winery’s best vineyards. This selection process aims to extract the very best Valpolicella has to offer. The drying or appassimento of the grapes is done in the traditional way on grass mats. The wine is a deep garnet red with aromas of fruity jam, spices, cherries and black cherries, with tertiary aromas from the drying process of tobacco and cocoa. A full bodied, elegant and velvety complex wine! Drink now to 2027. $256.95 for a 1.5L in a wooden box.